first English merchant vessel to enter the Waitemata
Harbour on September 12th 1840.
She sailed in east of Motuihi Island, and in so doing so nearly left her bones on the now well-lit Bean Rock. Fortunately she was able to float off safely with the incoming tide. Sailing from Gravesend, this 350 ton barque was commanded by Captain Michael Wycherley, and was chartered by the New Zealand company.
She brought a few emigrants and stores for the Wellington settlement where she stopped first in July, before continuing on to Auckland with various sections of the "Manning Frame House", residence for Captain William Hobson, the Lieutenant Governor of the new colony. Hobson had decided on the Waitemata (Auckland) as the capital of the new colony.
Three days later the barque Anna Watson arrived from the Bay of Islands with the Chief Magistrate, Captain William Symonds, and the surveyor-general, Mr Felton Matthew. The latter had instructions to purchase land from the Maori owners and proceed with the laying out of the new capital..
It is recorded that at 1pm on the September 18th 1840, Captain Symonds
hoisted the Union Jack on a spot that now forms part of Queen Street.
On the flagstaff was cut the name "Auckland" in
honour of the man who had been Hobson's patron, and whom was, at
that time. Governor General of India.
Traveling steerage on the Anna Watson were 32 mechanics with their wives and children. This group is considered by many to be the founders of Auckland.
If you have notes on the Platina or any other vessels and would like to be considered for inclusion in this website, please e-mail.